Hello,This is me!

Eva Marie

Blogger and cat lover In love with books, pizzas and DiCaprio Writing is my passion

août 26, 2019

Becoming by Michelle Obama: the book review

  • août 26, 2019
  • by

I don’t tend to read biography somehow, it’s not the sort of book I want to read if I don’t know what to read. However, Michelle Obama’s is one I was interested in reading. I mean, she was the wife of the US president, so I supposed she had something interesting to say. Obviously at that point, I haven’t understood yet that she was far more than a first lady.

I have not had a great start with this book. Of course, she had to talk about her childhood, but I was so impatient to read about her adult life that I put the book aside for a few months. I picked it up again and I wished it was even longer… This book is great! It is interesting, engaging, informing, inspiring, you name it. I was so surprised by so many things in this book; I think everyone wanting to know a bit more the Obama’s should read “Becoming”.

I saw far more in Michelle Obama than a wife of someone. We understand throughout the book that she made her way to the top all by herself. As she said proudly, she is from the South side of Chicago and had not been granted with privileges from the start, at all. Plus, being a black girl/woman in the 70s-80s America was not something easy as well, we all know that. But, she climbs the ladder through education, she is smart and able to do something great with her life, which she does. Then, she meets a certain Barack Obama which will become the love of her life.

 


The thing that astonished me the most was her first opinion on Barack’s choices regarding politics. She said many times that she, herself, was not into politics at all. Therefore, she did not support his idea of running for any political job at all. Of course, she changed her mind and support him fully during his two presidential terms, and that’s admirable. She is understanding towards his choices that affect not him only but Michelle and their two young daughters. But, she is a strong woman that is able to support her husband, be a good mother and continue fulfilling her life as a woman and as a successful working woman.

When it comes to the part during the eight years of presidency, I was so inspired by her. She describes everything not as a politician (of course), but as a “normal” woman being pushed forward towards the public eyes, being suddenly the wife of the US president. It could have been anyone, we feel that. She was not trained to be in that position, but she did a hell of a great job at it! Throughout the pages, she tells us her role has a mother in the White House, her role has a wife which is not always easy, and her role has the First Lady. Having her background, we know pretty quickly that she’s not going to be just a pretty smile next to her husband. She wants to be more. Her dedication with women and especially women in the minorities is inspiring. She put a lot of time and effort leaving the doors she opened stay open for others after her. She becomes a role model: if she did it, so can we. That’s what the book inspired to. She is just a normal woman who had an extraordinary journey, which does not mean it’s impossible.

I would recommend this book if you are interested to know more about her, her family, her career, but also if you want a bit more insight of the White House. I learnt many things and I found so many normality and humanity in her way of doing things there that it shifted my opinion on the life there. Anyway, tell me now, have you read it yet? What did you think of it?

I'm 24, I've got freckles (you get it now) and I'm a grumpy French, sometimes, who writes in English. I love books, cats, le barbu, pizzas and Dicaprio.

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

EVA MARIE
Rennes, France

SEND ME A MESSAGE