Hello,This is me!

Eva Marie

Blogger and cat lover In love with books, pizzas and DiCaprio Writing is my passion

avril 30, 2021

Life and books lately

  • avril 30, 2021
  • by

Hi. It's me again. Just taking a moment to write something else than my thesis. Might do me good. It's been a while since I haven't talked about books and I miss it even though I haven't had the opportunity to read that much lately. I bought books, obviously, but they are just joining the rest of my TBR stack on my shelves. Waiting. Desperately. 

I finally read The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern. It's brilliant, super well written with this unique style. This writer is frankly amazing when you compare this one to The Night Circus. How can someone have that much imagination to create a whole world that makes your imagination going crazy. This is the whole point of books: makes your imagination wonder, travelling places you couldn't imagine yourself. It's been lovely to go in this imaginary world during lockdown number 3729. I don't read a lot of fantasy as I don't really like it in general, but this: I love!

I also finished The Paris Library by Janet Skeslien Charles. WW2 era is just so fascinating to me and I try to read books about it as much as I can, especially when it happens in France. It's devastating, but you always learn a lot even if it is a work of fiction. This one started quite badly, if I'm honest. It wasn't that bad, but it was a bit too… American. When you are French, you are used to work of fiction during this time, you are used to history and how it's been told. And with this book, I felt like I had the American point of view, not the French's. Paris was all romantic, wonderful and full of love. The war was about to happen but everything was beautiful still. I hated that, it was not realistic at all as it's often the image we have of Paris of France in general when you don't live there. Yet, the book became really good once the war broke. It was all about the library and the amazing job they did during this difficult time. It was about loss, friendship, love and survival. I really like the two stories in one book, even if it felt like it wasn't written the same way. The 80s part was really american, whereas the 40s part was definitely more European. I would really recommend this book if you're into the whole WW2 thing. 

I read a lof of Franck Thilliez's book. He is a famous thriller writer in France. His book are disturbing, really (really) dark so it's not something I grab if I'm feeling a bit down. Yet, they are great. The characters have a real personality, they aren't flat. The stories often follow the same pattern than thriller do, yet they have their own style. Thilliez is really good with writing horrible stories.

That's pretty much it for me. I will now go back to finish writing my thesis. Yes, I'm always mentioning it at the moment because except work, I don't do much except writing this flipping thing and watching Ginny & Georgia on Netflix (well, I did watch Dark for the 3rd time). 


I'm 24, I've got freckles (you get it now) and I'm a grumpy French, sometimes, who writes in English. I love books, cats, le barbu, pizzas and Dicaprio.

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

EVA MARIE
Rennes, France

SEND ME A MESSAGE